Saturday, June 4, 2011

Catering Tip #3 of 4: I prefer the buffet or family dining myself.

Most brides prefer a sit down dinner where each person is served a set menu because they are afraid that otherwise they may be considered cheap, but there are four reasons that I think other styles of dining should be great considered:

Firstly, the served plate option is sort of limitting.  The guest are given a plate of food usually whose menu has been choosen without their input.  This puts picky eaters on the spot, and can be embarrassing and uncomfortable if they don't like what's being served.  (I keep talking about picky eaters because I am one. lol.  I have tried to get over it, and I'm much better about it now that I'm a little older.)  Conversely, with a buffet or family style dining you can offer your guest a larger variety of dishes including carving stations and additional sides. 

Secondly, fine dinning lends itself to waste.  Often times, with surf and turf you will see whole lobster tails left on a plate to be later thrown in the garbage; where as, with other forms of serving like a buffet or family style dinning this food can be packaged and taken home, or to a neighborhood shelter.  For those of you are into giving this is a great way to share the abundance of your wedding day with those who are less fortunate.

Thirdly, sit down dinners for me have always been a little boring.  I almost dread them.  The idea of being served a soup, a salad, and a maincurse without really knowing  what's coming next causes me to be anxious.  I know it sounds wierd, but I'm not along. There are many people who avoid sit down dinners because itf you can't find conversation, then the moment can be very awkward.   But do not fret there is a solution, both family style dinning and buffet dinners are much more engaging.  They can turned the eating experience into an activity where each person is an active participants as they began to make choices and pick and choice what they are eating.  "Try the coconut milk sauce over the rice?"  Or" how is the shrimp I think I might try that next".  This interaction helps to ease the anxiety that some people natural encounter when they are in large group.


The last reason is the most obvious one, let's face you can save lots of money by choosing a buffet or family style dinner over a plate per person dinner;  and, spending more for less is a just not a good way to start off your lives together now is it, lol. 

Having said all that, I reminisce.  The best food I have had while at a wedding was at my good friend Keisha Hudson's wedding reception seven years ago in Columbus Ohio.  It was a buffet.  I choose the chicken breast and wild rice.  There was a white wine cream sauce which I used over the rice that made that meal one I will never forget.  By the way  Ms. Hudson you were gorgeous also. 

And, if you are looking for someplace that specializes in family style dinning try Cedar's Mediterranean Restaurant in Hyde Park.  It's delicious.

LOVE ROBERT

No comments:

Post a Comment